Wednesday, July 25, 2012

When Fear Rings your Door Bell


He (the Priest) shall say: ‘Hear, Israel: Today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not panic or be terrified by them.For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.’ ” Deuteronomy 20:3-4 
Like Professor Moriarty to Sherlock Holmes, Wyle Coyote to the Roadrunner and yes, the Joker to Batman, FEAR has been my nemesis all of my life.
I’ve fought hard against it using Scripture and prayer, practical mind diversion techniques and even therapy. Today I can say I am a courageous woman who lives in freedom, only because of the way the Lord has fought for me against my enemy.
And then…
A deranged man, full of evil, enters a theater 25 minutes from my house and kills 12 people and injures 58 others.
My family is safe. My nephew went to one of the other theaters in Aurora for a midnight showing of Batman and came home happy and unharmed.
We all were bombarded with the tragic news the next morning. I was out drinking coffee on my balcony when a neighbor walked by and said, “Turn your TV on, Robbie and pray.”
Fear rang the door bell as I sat and watched the news. I let him in and he sat with me as my heart broke for those parents and family members of those shot. I cried and shook my head at the senselessness of such an EVIL act.
That day Noah was scheduled to go to Water World with some friends. Fear whispered to me, “Don’t let him go. Who knows what could happen at an amusement park today.”
The old battle raged. Do I try to control the future by gripping my son with white knuckles? Do I keep him close so I can run interference for any danger? If I don’t, what if something happens to him? What if I get a call like those precious family members of the 12 in Aurora? What if the worst possible event happens?
The door bell rang again. I answered and there stood Faith. I let him in. He whispered to me, “God is in control, Robbie. You are not. God adores you and John and Noah. The enemy does not.”
Decision time. I bowed my head and prayed for the courage to be courageous. God’s strength filled me and I told Fear to get the hell out of my home and go to hell!!
He left. I cried some more and Faith helped wipe my tears.
I surrendered AGAIN my life and my son’s life to God. “You got Him today, right, Lord?”
“Yes, I do.”
Not a promise that something horrible won’t happen. Not assurance that I won’t be faced with indescribable pain at some point. But PEACE, a lovely blanket that covers me with the joy of not having to spend time wondering and worrying and fretting. Peace that passes understanding.
No matter where you are in the world, when such evil runs rampant, you are affected by fear. Could that ever happen to me or my loved ones? Dear friend, I encourage you to kick fear out of your home in the name of Jesus and let Faith hang out on your couch with you.
So many wonderful essays and blogs have been written about the past week’s events that have made me praise God and cry and laugh with courageous giggles. I encourage you to check out these three out:

·         A blog written by a woman who was in theater 9 that night with her daughters. They escaped unharmed physically. This blog gives GLORY to the GOD who was there! It’s called “So you think God is still a merciful God?” It is a must read!!

·         A blog written by a pastor of a family whose daughter was shot. The girl’s name is Petra and her mom is a fellow writer here in Denver. (I don’t know her personally) This blog tells how God performed a miracle in saving this girl. It is SO COOL how God even prepared her to be shot! Want to know what I mean? Read this incredible post: “A Miracle inside the Aurora Shooting.”

·         And finally, an essay written by Colorado State Senator Mike Johnston on LOVE. Wonderful words.

Join me and let’s keep walking with His courage one step at a time, no matter what the enemy does! Our Mighty God fights for us!


No comments: