Friday, May 23, 2008

The Joy of His Pleasure



I love the movie “Chariots of Fire.” Whenever it crosses my mind, my first thought is the scene of those athletes running across the beach and that distinctive song in the background…can you hear it?

One line from the movie is among my absolute favorite lines of all time from film. The only two that could top it are “Merry Christmas you ole broken down Savings and Loan” and “I’m not crazy M’Lynn. I’ve just been in a very bad mood for forty years!” Can anyone name those movies?

Anyway, the line from Chariots of Fire I love is spoken by Eric Liddell to his sister. He is explaining to her why he MUST run. He says, “God made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.”

I love that. That is exactly how I feel when I sit at my computer and tap away. The Spirit sits with me and gives me the creativity it takes to write the next word or line. The process is such a rush. Of course pushing through those moments of writers block is something I must do to continue the course. It would be easy to quit. But I would miss this. I would miss feeling His pleasure! I believe with all my heart that God gave me a talent and a love for writing. So here I am, trying to get better at the craft and trying to let the Lord lead me.

What a great blessing it is to know and truly enjoy other writers. My writing group, Words for the Journey Christian Writers Guild, has been a gift from God to me. He knew that the expertise and encouragement in that group would propel me to becoming the writer He wants me to be. He knew that they would tell me all about the Colorado Christian Writers Conference and encourage me to go.

I did. I loved it.

And here’s the good news from the conference! Two agents asked for my proposals and so did one editor. Woo-Hoo! Also an author who I respect told me I was a gifted writer. Yep, he used the word gifted. Writers notice things like word choice. :0)

It was a great conference with lots and lots of laughter. I stayed up late (for me) and laughed until I cried. The fellowship was absolutely priceless.

If you have read my blog each day this week, thank you. I have never blogged every day and so it has been a new challenge for me. I have a new found respect for those of you who do blog every day. Next week I am back to Tuesday and Thursday!

Here’s to you and your dreams, your times of successful obedience and waiting and your moments of rejection, acceptance and jumping off into the arms of God.

Here’s to you finding something in your life that gives you so much joy you Have to keep doing it. Why? You feel His pleasure!

9 comments:

Kay Day said...

I have enjoyed reading a post every day!

(It's a Wonderful Life and Steel Magnolia's. I love those lines, too.)

Robbie Iobst said...

Kay, you're right about the lines! Great movies!

Julie said...

I had the record of Chariots of Fire. I used to do the "da da da da da daaa" as I ran. I still do sometimes. It was my fav. music, but I really don't remember the movie even don't know if I saw it. I will miss everyday with you.:(
I very happy for you that you are getting into a groove in writing. I believe it is a gift from God. I can write, but the "special"ness isn't there. You are called. :) Have a good weekend. WW

Megan DiMaria said...

Oh, thank goodness Kay gave us the name of the second movie, I couldn't place it. LOL.

You're a gifted writer, Robbie. I'm honored to be able to watch your career bloom.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan

tonya said...

Robbie, I love reading your posts! They bring me such joy.

I could so relate to you talking about writing with the Lord. For me it taking pictures. It is so pleasurable and I feel His Presence. It is wonderful, yet humbling to work with Him.

Once again, great post.

Danica Favorite said...

I needed to read this post... good reminder of why I write. Love it when the fingers fly across the keys.

Ruthie said...

So nice to read your posts this week. Glad for the positive feedback at the writers convention! We all know you are a wonderful writer and God will definately use you as you continue writing!
Blessings!

dianne in colorado said...

I love It's A Wonderful Life and Steel Magnolias too! I also love writing and I am so glad to share this journey with you!

Jan Parrish said...

Excellent post. Your thoughts mirror my own. Whenever I'm discouraged, all I need to do do is sit in front of the computer and pray for the words. Writing energizes me. When I write, I feel his pleasure.