Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Practicing the Presence of God


I’m reading the book “Practicing the Presence of God” by Brother Lawrence and the other day I read:

”Our sanctification depends,
not only on the changing of my behavior,
but on doing for God what
we ordinarily do for ourselves.”

Sanctification means the process of becoming more like Jesus. Hmmm…
What do I ordinarily do for myself?

  • Spend time with family
  •  Talk with friends
  • Write
  • Blog, Facebook and Twitter
  • Eat
  • Read good books
  • Shop
So Brother Lawrence is simply tell me to:

Spend time with family for God. Keep Him in mind when I love on them.

Talk with friends for God. Make Him a part of the conversation.

Write for God. Ask Him to give me the words.

Blog, Facebook and Twitter for God? Yep. He enjoys social media, too. :0)

Eat for God. Ouch. That might change the menu a bit.

Read good books for God. He would love to be a part of my thoughts as I eat up plots and ideas.

Shop for God. When I’m buying something, ask His opinion. Hmmm…

It’s a choice. It’s a choice to allow His presence to infuse every part of life.

Have you tried this? What happened?

6 comments:

Denise Miller Holmes said...

I like this Robbie. I used to do this all the time when I was first a Christian, and now am getting back into it again. His Presence makes everything so much more satisfying.
RedHotRead.com

Robbie Iobst said...

Denise, thank you! I LOVE your sentence "His Presence makes everything so much more satisfying." Amen!

Lynn said...

Time to try it. Alone time with God is good, but realizing He didn't leave when others show up, could really change things. Enjoying the morning quiet and coffee in the back yard together, yes, done that, but shopping together? Novel idea.
Okay, and my word verification to comment is "remall" so back to the mall to try this!

Robbie Iobst said...

Any reason to hit a mall, right?
:0) Thank you Lynn for your comment. Looking forward to our next time together! :0)

smithsk said...

Great advice. And another book to check out.
Thanks for the post and the reminders.
"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."
I Cor 10:3 (KJV)
Susan

Robbie Iobst said...

Susan, thank you for your faithfulness to encourage others!
:0)