Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Great Prayer for your Children!

Her name is Joan. She's now a grandma, an older woman. The minute I met her at my Bible Study I thought "This woman can teach me something." And last week she did. We were discussing Isaiah 44 and came upon a passage in which God is giving Israel a promise of blessing.

Joan said that when her children were teenagers, she watched as they got caught up in some behaviors that really worried her. She found this verse and felt like God told her to begin praying it over her teens.

"I did." She said, her eyes getting misty. "And today my kids are grown up and love Christ. They belong to the Lord."

Watching her testify to the power of prayer and a God who listens was beautiful. My son is 11 and he's not caught up in bad behaviors right now. But I want to put him in God's hands. So I prayed this verse over my son. What a blessing it will be if someday when he has his own children he tells them and the world, "I belong to the Lord."

Do you have children? This is a wonderful passage of Scripture to pray over them.

"I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. One will say, 'I belong to the LORD,' another will call himself by the name of Jacob; still another will write on his hand, 'The LORD's' and will take the name of Israel." Isaiah 44: 3-5

2 comments:

Diane Marie Shaw said...

Robbie, the Lord gave me this same scripture for my three children many years ago. I thought it was kind of cool that the Lord talks about three children in this scripture.
Two of my children have strayed very far from the Lord but His word is true, they will be back with their spouse and girl friend saying that Jesus is their Lord.
My youngest son and his family are tight with the Lord, thank you Jesus.
Thanks for the reminder that I need to begin praying that scripture for my children again.

Cheryl Barker said...

Prayer for our kids is powerful. And what blessing when we see them living for the Lord as adults. I can say from personal experience,
"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4