Thursday, March 11, 2010

Plain Jayne by Hillary Manton Lodge


When I opened up Hillary Manton Lodge's debut novel, Plain Jayne, I wasn't excited. I'm not into books about the Amish. I rarely read romance novels. But I met Hillary online and absolutely love her personality. Her facebook posts and her blog always entertain me. So I opened up Plain Jayne and started to read.

As Gomer Pyle, that wonderful icon of the sixties, would say, "Soo prize, Soo prize!"

I LOVED this book. It's not like the couple of Amish romances I read. The writing is sharp and the wit is acerbic at times. The characters are well drawn and I really enjoyed Jayne. Plain Jayne didn't make the Amish intriguing, it made Jayne intriguing. That's great writing. The Amish added to the story and the Burkholder family's customs were interesting, but I wanted to know what happened to Jayne. In fact I stayed up late and got up early to find out. This is a terrific novel.

I finished the book this morning and I'm still thinking about it and smiling. And the best part? The sequel, Simply Sara, is coming!

If you want to read a book that will translate in your mind tino a wonderful romantic comedy, go buy Plain Jayne. You can thank me later. :0)

4 comments:

Loretta Oakes said...

Wow, sounds like a great read. Thanks for the book report, Robbie!

Robbie Iobst said...

Loretta, you will love this book! Go buy it or I will loan you mine and then we'll tawk over cawfee.
:0)

Cheryl Barker said...

I haven't read an Amish novel yet. Sounds like this is the one to start with!

Robbie Iobst said...

Cheryl I've read three and this is by far the best! :0)