Thursday, January 15, 2009

Stop. Just stop.






Last Saturday was a busy day full of hospital visiting and errands that couldn't wait any longer. After I dropped off Noah at a late-in-the-day birthday party, I was driving home and some brilliant colors caught my eye.

I looked up.

Wow.

I have never seen anything as captivating as the Colorado sky. This night's images were added to my mind's file labeled "The Glory of God."

I whispered the words we've taught Noah to say when he sees such beauty, "Thank you God."

And then God answered.

Robbie, stop. Just stop.

I was near an elementary school parking lot, empty. I pulled in and turned off the engine. I grabbed my camera and took these pictures.

And then I breathed. I put aside all the stuff crowding my mind. I relaxed my muscles.

I worshipped.

Life gets busy, doesn't it? Good things come. Troubles come.

But the best thing that can happen is those moments where we stop. We stop and let God have our full attention.

5 comments:

Joanna said...

I took pictures of the same sunset. The gold-colored clouds took my breath away. At the time, I wished I knew how to paint well. But even if I did, I don't think I could have captured the true beauty of the real sunset. Our Lord is amazing.

Jan Parrish said...

Robbie - how beautiful. I look at the Colorado sunsets as God's love letters to me. I drink them in and am refreshed. We serve an awesome God!

Kay Day said...

That same night I was driving home from CS and the moon was amazing on the eastern horizon and the golden/pink/purple sunset on the west. It was...wonderful.

Momstheword said...

Coming home from the lower Arkansas Valley last evening we sawy a beautiful sunset but the colors were mostly in the south. The fog had laid low over the river area for most of the day, perhaps that contributed to the colors. You can't beat Colorado in any way, shape or form.

Anonymous said...

I am touched by these pictures as everyone else was. But I cannot resist the little humor worm that has crawled into my brain and is forcing me to ask, "Is that Waldo from "Where's Waldo" in the corner of the first picture? Excuse my irreverance.