Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What's Cooking?



Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.  Ephesians 4:15

You know when you walk into a house and smell something wonderful baking? Take that thought and attach it to a memory and you’ll suddenly be in your Mama’s kitchen or your Grandma’s living room, mouth watering as the aroma tickles your taste buds.

I’m experiencing this sensation, but what’s cooking isn’t banana bread or peach cobbler. It’s me.

Growth comes in tiny centipede steps, unnoticed and stealth-like. But sometimes, you and I can recognize it. It smells like the expectancy of deliciousness for dinner and tastes like a new food you’re trying at a swanky restaurant. It sounds like a distant song a neighbor is playing on their stereo, one you can’t quite place but you know you’ve heard it. It feels like my Chihuahua/pug’s fur, smooth and comforting attached to responsibility.

And it looks like a fogged up mirror. Not quite clear but hinting of possibility and reflection.

To grow means to be intentional about movement in mind, body or soul. It takes purposeful prayer and an open heart. It takes time.

Most of all, it takes desire and willingness.

Too many of us live lives of complacent stagnancy.  And it has nothing to do with occupation. You can be a vibrant and growing mom of young children or student or banker. You can also be a stagnant mom, student or banker.

Realizing that growth is happening is a joy in its own category.  Wonderful and simple.

Want to grow in Christ? Maybe you want a fruit of the Spirit to ripen in your life – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Maybe your heart’s desire is to learn a new skill or develop a new habit. You may have an inkling that you need to grow in your understanding of the Bible or in your service of others.

GROWTH IS POSSIBLE!

Here’s a prayer you can start with:

Lord, grow me to be what You want me to be. I don’t want to be the same today as I was yesterday. I want to reflect Your Spirit and love more and more. I want to grow and I am willing to do what it takes. Here I am. Grow me.

We celebrate milestones of growth in a baby’s life. Let’s celebrate together as we grow in God’s love.

So what’s cooking in your life?  :0) 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Robbie, you brought me to my Grandma's kitchen as chili simmered for hours, leaving me drooling and starving by the time we could dig in.

I love your description of expectancy--that's so how I feel these days. The mirror is so foggy I can't even see, yet I keep going forward and find joy, peace and fulfillment like never before.

As far as cooking, well, I try to avoid that :)

Stacy Voss

Robbie Iobst said...

Love it Stacy! And now I'm hungry for chili! :0) I love that we can expect God's growth together, yet in our own individual lives! :0)