Friday, October 05, 2012

Five Minute Friday - The Greatest Welcome Ever!


It's Five Minute Friday and I am blogging on the prompt "Welcome" suggested by the Five Minute Friday leader Lisa Jo Baker. Interested in knowing more and joining the gang, go to  http://lisajobaker.com/2012/10/31-days-write-story-day-5-five-minute-friday-welcome/












Five minute Friday – Welcome

Do you ever wonder about that moment, that wonderful, blessed moment when we get to heaven?

I do. Earlier in my life, I dreaded it, thinking that I didn’t want to consider it because I had so much life to live. When Paul says in Philippians 1: 21-26 that he looked forward to dying to be with Christ, I kinda thought he was crazy. Almost death-wish-ish.  How’s that for great writing? 

But as I’ve aged and fallen more and more in love with Jesus, I find myself looking forward to that day. I don’t want to die, but I’m not afraid to go. In fact, crossing over to a face to face meeting with my best friend, my Lord, my warrior and my God will be better than I can imagine.

And Imagine, I do. In my finite mind I see me arriving to see Jesus first. I don’t notice my surroundings; I just see Him. I start running. Guess what? He does, too. We embrace and I am filled overflowing with a love that I’ve never felt. Simply because of this world that has so much gunk clogging up the flow of real love.

He whispers, “Robbie, welcome home.”

This is when I notice the folks around me. My mom and my dad. Granny. Friends and loved ones who got there first. I burst into tears of joy and the party starts.

To me, heaven is not about the pearly gates and streets of gold. It’s about the face to face reunion I will have with the God of my faith. It will be the best welcome ever. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Looking forward to that day, too.

dayebydaye said...

Oh, I love the direction you went with this!!! My all time favorite hymn is "It is Well with my Soul" and I get teary every time I sing "the trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend". Lord, haste the day!
Thank you for your sweet comments on my post. What a delight to be in community with one another!

Robbie Iobst said...

Tresta, YAY! Me, too, sister!

Robbie Iobst said...

Becky, I loved your very welcoming post and I hear your friendliness in your writing. THANK YOU! :0)

Unknown said...

Love it!! And love you, too! Won't that be an incredible day!!!
~Stacy

Robbie Iobst said...

Yep, it will, Stacy! :0) LOVED your welcoming post too. What a wonderful picture of forgiveness! Every one else should check this out:
http://www.eyesofyourheart.com/welcome-back/

Allison Sheets said...

Our pastor just did a wonderful sermon on heaven a few weeks ago! His words got me excited at the thought of going to my heavenly home. And for the first time, I didn't fear death! Your post reminded me of that sermon and I find myself excited again at the thought of our heavenly destination! What a marvelous day that will be! Thank you for your thoughts today! :)

Robbie Iobst said...

Allison, that's fabulous!! What a party it will be! Look me up. :0) And thank you for your words!

Unknown said...

I love the road you took with this prompt. Like you I no longer fear death. I'm not looking for it, but I don't fear it. It will be a great party won't it? Glad I found you at Lisa Jo's FMF.