Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Be Your Own Valentine!


“Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration—what a creation!” Psalm 139:13-15 (The Message)


If you look up the origins of Valentine’s Day, you will find several stories and legends. One is based on Saint Valentine of Rome who was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers and for ministering to Christians. According to this legend, in prison he healed the daughter of his jailer. Before his death, Saint Valentine wrote this girl a letter and signed it, “Your Valentine.”

This Valentine’s Day I am looking at the holiday in a new way. I love Jesus and I love my husband so much. But this year, my Valentine is going to be….

Me.

I am making myself a Valentine and writing myself a letter, telling Robbie all the cool things I love about her.

If you find this arrogant, let me explain. For years, I have been the victim of my own self condemnation. I’m not good enough, I’m not thin enough, blah, blah, blah.

In December I went to a Sozo meeting and two ladies prayed for me and guided me to pray. It was an incredible experience. One of the many things that happened is I had this vision of me standing surrounded by a wall of bricks. One of the bricks was labeled SELF CONDEMNATION. Jesus was standing with me and handed me a sledge hammer. I obeyed and whacked the wall and a couple of tiny pieces fell down. I looked to Jesus and He grinned and put His big toe on the wall and Kapoweee! The wall was obliterated. 

I have seen the evidence of that vision/healing in my life the last couple of months. The enemy gets very little victory in my life in the area of beating up on Robbie by Robbie.

Ergo, this week and my Valentine.

I started writing my letter the other day. Part of it says:

“Robbie, I love your humor and the way you are able to see the funny, even when it is hidden in the corners during the difficult moments.”

It’s counter-intuitive. But after so many years of making me, God’s creation, less than I am by demeaning myself, IT IS TIME!

So Joyvotion reader, here’s a suggestion. If you put yourself down a lot, give this a try. Ask God to guide you in finding the cool, wonderful aspects of yourself that HE created. And then celebrate this week of love by loving yourself. Jesus will cheer you on!

My Own Valentine,

Robbie 

No comments: