Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Miracle of God's Timing - Part 1 of 2

Me and My Miracles

Some folks in religious circles claim that God's miracles do not happen during our time. In Jesus' time, yes, but not now. I don't agree. God's miracles are everywhere. In the miracle of birth, in the miracle of death and in the miracle of timing, to name a few.

When I think of God's timing in my life, I am filled with gratitude. I was in Watts, a suburb of Los Angeles, with a friend of mine when we were in college. We were lost, without a vehicle and discovered that the buses had stopped running. A car appears and two gentlemen ask us if we want a ride. We say yes and as we are about to get into the car, something in me says, "Hold on, there, Rob." I pull my friend back and say that we appreciate it, but we're going to walk to the liquor store we could just barely see in the distance. The men got out of the car and started yelling obsenities at us. We ran. They followed.

And then.

A police car appeared and saved the day. A miracle of God's timing? Absolutely. I believe that His timing along with His angels have saved my life many times.

I didn't meet my husband until after my mother died. That might seem like bad timing, but in retrospect, I see it as a miracle. I was honored to be able to help take care of my mother because I was single with no kids. I was able to live with my father during the hardest year of his life, because I hadn't met John yet. And to be honest, until I had that time to kill off some of my selfishness, I wasn't ready to get married. God knew. His timing was miraculous. Less than a year after I moved back to California from my dad's home in Texas, I met John. Miraculous.

Every time I pick up a book that teaches me something about myself or something about God that I needed to learn right then, I know it's God's mirace of timing.

Every time I get a phone call from someone I haven't spoken to in a while, I know our words are part of God's miraculous timing.

He's big like that. He controls, yet He allows us free will. A mystery. A miracle.

Come back on Thursday to read a story of God's miraculous timing that made me cry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God's timing is perfect - even when we sit in silence waiting for what seems like an eternity...

Cheryl Barker said...

The way our God is at work in even the smallest details of our lives is amazing -- and yes indeed, miraculous!

smithsk said...

Good reminder, Robbie, that God is looking out for us - though at the time, we don't see it.
Susan

Denise Miller Holmes said...

Funny how you called those hoodlums "gentlemen." God's timing is amazing, and, oh, how He loves us!
www.RedHotRead.com