Thursday, March 17, 2011
Does Watching the Tragedy in Japan scare you? Here's the Answer:
The news brings the world into our living rooms and along with it, the tragedy that is going on in Japan. If you are like me, and some of you are, it is difficult to watch those poor people and not feel horrible. Compassion is part of it. But fear comes also. What if that happened to me and my family or my neighborhood? What would I do?
Let me offer today, not my wisdom, but God's! Look at the following passage from Proverbs 3, written by Solomon, the wisest of men.
"My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion;
they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be at your side and will keep your foot from being snared." Proverbs 3: 21-25
Acquiring, cherishing and using the wisdom of God through His Word, the Bible, has immeasurabe benefits:
1) His Words, His Wisdom is LIFE! Like a gorgeous necklace that adds beauty to your outfit, the Word of God lived wisely gives your life the quality of pulchritude. It makes you more attractive, not because or your righteousness, but because of God's goodness.
2) His Wisdom keeps your foot from stumbling. Don't you hate it when you fall? I fell the other night coming down some steps in the dark. Ouch! The Word of God is like the light I needed coming down those steps. His Word illuminates every situation, guarding me from falling flat on my face.
3) His Words give you courage and sweet sleep. If you have insomnia, the reason could be medical, of course, but it could be spiritual. Set your mind on His Word before you lie down. Focus on His Wisdom and you will sleep better.
4) His Wisdom, His Words supply the security that we all need at times. Especially if we see other humans being overtaken by sudden disaster, like in Japan. We don't have to be afraid of earthquakes or tsunamis, simply because we are filled with the Words of the One who is in complete control of all. Is that a guarantee we'll never have to live through a sudden disaster? No. That means we need not fear it. So many of us are controlled by fear. If you soak yourself in God's Word, fear dissipates.
5) His Word and His Wisdom within us guarantees the Lord will always be with us. His Presence is the ultimate reward in following Christ. He will never leave us or betray us. Never.
Open your Bible today and ask God to fill you up!