Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's Time to take my Health Issues Seriously!



A few weeks ago, I went to my doctor for a complete physical. A week later, I sat in the doctor's office conference room to go over my notebook with him. Yes, notebook. It was a complete physical including all my blood cell levels, the hormone levels and of course, cholesterol.

My trigliceride level, the bad cholesterol, is off the chart. Basically, I'm one foot out of the grave. Although I can joke about it, the seriousness of this issue made a huge imprint.

That afternoon, I tickled Noah and we were laughing and laughing. It occured to me that I may never see his wedding or hold his kids. Ouch. It is time! Time for me to seriously take my health issues seriously!! Seriously.

But how? I've tried every diet known to mankind. Okay, almost. But it seems like every one.

First of all, I have to give God my will. Basically I have to make the decision every day to surrender. Throw up my hands, wave the white flag and stop fighting. My spoiled brat ways of "I am going to eat this because I WANT to eat this must stop.

But I need help! Enter a nutritionist and a counselor. By combining their advice to me, I have begun a eating program that is doable and realistic.

See, I'm an all or nothing gal. This has sabatoged every single one of my diets. If I don't do it perfectly, well then, have a pint of ice cream.:0)

No more. Another weapon I've used against myself is self doubt which becomes self fulfilling. The belief that "This really won't work, because I've never been able to lose weight and get healthy before," is imbedded in me because of the past. So I have to combat that lie. Constantly.

Change is difficult. Change takes purposeful effort. Change takes time.

And it is time.

2 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

You're right, Robbie. Changing your diet IS really difficult. God bless you in your efforts! You can do it with His help!

dianne in colorado said...

Great post, Robbie. I don't know if this will help you or not, but I try to think about the "living conditions" I provide for the Holy Spirit residing within me. I don't want the Spirit fighting against hard arteries, sluggish bloodflow, or my self-defeating attitudes. I want it to have room to stretch out and fill every space in me unhindered. That mental image helps spur me on when I start thinking another peanut butter cup is a good idea!

Love you, sister! I know you can do it!