Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It's National Coffee Day!



The first smell of every morning of my childhood was Folgers brewing. Mama and Daddy were religious about their cup of caffeine every morning. My pop offered me a taste when I turned 13, and I thought it was horrible. In fact, I didn't pick up the habit until my mid-twenties.

But now, well the first smell that greets my son when he wakes up is Maxwell House brewing. I'd like to take a minute and apologize to my parents, even though they are deceased. I still don't like Folgers. :0)

Today is National Coffee Day, so I thought I would write a little ditty to celebrate.

Webster's Dictionary:
Main Entry: dit·ty
Pronunciation: \ˈdi-tē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ditties
Etymology: Middle English ditee, from Anglo-French dité story, song, from past participle of diter to compose, from Latin dictare to dictate, compose
Date: 14th century
: an especially simple and unaffected song


Ode to Coffee
A ditty by Robbie Iobst

To the Tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star - roughly.

Better than alarm clocks,
Or water in my face,
Better than yelling
or someone spraying mace!
Better than the sun,
shining in my eyes,
Better than Noah shouting surpise!

What causes me to really wake up,
Only you, coffee in a cup!


See you at your local Starbucks!

4 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hurray for coffee!! :)

Robbie Iobst said...

Absolutely Jennifer! Maybe someday we will meet for coffee! I'd love it. :0)

smithsk said...

I remember my father really loved coffee. When I was a little girl, I remember sitting on his lap sipping what I called "coffee milk" that is coffee laced with lots of milk and sugar (else as a child I could not stand it.) Who knew I would be drinking a primitive form of Capucinno?
Susan

Jan Parrish said...

Whoo hoo! Yup, it's 11:29 and I'm still going strong thanks to my old stand by coffee.

You are awesome Robbie! Thanks for the sweet dedication. Now, I'd really like to hear you sing it. We should of video taped it.