Sunday, October 26, 2008

I recommend Out of Her Hands by Megan DiMaria!



I love good books that take me away and plop me down in a different world. Reading can be like a sweet vacation without the traveling stress or exhaustion. I just returned from such a trip. A few minutes ago, I finished Megan DiMaria’s Out of Her Hands.

When I started the book, a sequel to Searching for Spice, I experienced a bit of trouble getting into it. Like so many books, the beginning just didn’t grab me. But then, oh wow. The Revere home became my home. I traveled with Linda Revere to work everyday. Every time I picked up the book I joined her in travailing the emotional storm of change. Change in family and in expectations. The kind of change we can all relate to.

I found myself ingrained in what would happen next. This is the stuff that makes great novels. Megan accomplished a feat. I, as the reader, began to really care about what happened to the Reveres.

And then the plot twists. I loved them. I can’t be specific without giving the book away, but I really enjoyed the curves. The scenery was interesting and made me take a second and third look, seeing if I could predict the next twist.

Speaking of the scenery, one of the crafts that Megan brought to the table with this novel was her use of description. I really love a good British movie that is set in the 1800s. The opulence and the exquisite details take me to a place of loveliness. What woman doesn’t like to be surrounded by such beauty? Out of Her Hands took me to that same place. No, I wasn’t in the 1800s in England. But the gorgeous scenes in Colorado, coupled with the details of a fabulous home, caused me to breathe in elegance. Only a great book can do this.

So, in closing, LOVED IT! I can honestly say that I enjoyed reading Out of Her Hands MORE than Searching for Spice. And I really enjoyed Searching for Spice.

If you want to take a vacation without using Price Line or dealing with traffic, brew a nice cup of hot tea, get comfy in your favorite chair and read Out of Her Hands. You’ll have a wonderful time!

5 comments:

Ruthie said...

That is a wonderful review. I haven't gotten the new book yet, but I want to - and after reading your post it makes me even more anxious to read it.

How are you? Nice to visit you in Blogland again.

Smiles.

Robbie Iobst said...

Thanks Ruthie! I am working on changing up my blog a bit and expanding my horizons on the net. I just joined Facebook and Twitter, too. I'm not sure why yet. :0)

Jan Parrish said...

Great review Robbie. I loved it as well. I'll be reviewing it soon.

Robbie Iobst said...

Jan, it WAS good, wasn't it? So fun to read a book you like AND know the author!

Megan DiMaria said...

Thanks for the thoughtful review and the great endorsement, Robbie. I really appreciate you.

BTW, I currently have a FREE book offer on my website for bookclubs:
http://www.megandimaria.com/readers.html

And I'm also participating to give away 10 books on GoodReads:
http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway

GoodReads gives away tons of books. You should check it out.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan