Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Does God Dance?



Last night Kim Cardashian was voted off the island of Dancing with the Stars. Poor girl just didn't know how to dance with abandon. The judges kept telling her she had the look but not the moves.

I am not a Kim Cardashian fan, but I feel for her. I, like Kim, (and I am pretty sure this is all we have in common) DO dance with abandon. But on the inside. :0)

Remember Robin Williams line in The Birdcage? "You do an eclectic celebration of the dance! You do Fosse Fosse Fosse Fosse Fosse! You do Martha Graham Martha Graham Martha Graham, or Twyla Twyla Twyla, or Michael Kidde Michael Kidde Michael Kidde Michael Kidde, or Madonna Madonna Madonna Madonna... but you keep it all inside."

That's me. It's on the inside. :0) I do not claim to be a great dancer. Oh, but if you could see me on the dance floor of my imagination you would be in awe. I have unbelievable moves! :0) And ones that don't injure me either.

I guess it helps that I have this great dance teacher. God. Have you ever thought about God dancing? He does. One of His names is Elohim, the Creator. He created our bodies and movement. He created music and that connection we all have to music. I serve a God who boogies.

Is that sacrilegious? Is it making God smaller to ascribe an attribute to Him that we usually reserve for the Fred Astaires, the Paula Abduls or children? Absolutely not. List the people you know who dance and you will find yourself listing people from every race, creed or gender. Dancing is a universal joy. Of course, Elohim of joy dances!

So how does God dance? If I said all He does is waltz, that would be putting him in a box. If I said I don't think God knows how to do the worm or the mashed potato, again a box.

See God knows them all. And one of the joys of my life is that He wants me to dance with Him in every situation, no matter the style. He just wants to be with me. He yearns for the intimacy of hanging with his daughter. With you, too.

Today God wants to dance with you. Right where you are. If you are miserable and crying, let Him hold you. Put your feet on His feet.

If you are happy, try standing up and putting your nose in the air like Snoopy and do the Charlie Brown dance. Imagine Jesus right beside you. You just might end up laughing out loud.

If you are bored, put on any kind of music and close your eyes. Let the Spirit move you to the beat.

If you really want a jolt of joy, get up and imitate something you've seen on TV or the movies - the Tango or the Paso Doble.

Try this and see what happens. If you do it more than once, you will find that the movements you make somehow cause you to move toward God. I don't know how this happens. Just does. It's a God thing.

And if for some reason you are in a place you can't move or you don't want to move, imagine yourself moving. We use our imaginations for all sorts of silly, vain and lustful things. How 'bout we try to use our God given brains to SEE our Lord dancing with us?

Lots of people talk about how heaven might be streets of gold, huge choirs and unending joy at being with our King. I don't disagree with that.

But when I get there, one of the first things I'll ask: "All right Jesus, where's the dance floor?"

10 comments:

Joanna said...

Great post, Robbie! As I mentioned to you earlier, I believe God dances because He created us with the ability to dance and He also created us in His image.
That's my opinion, anyway.

-Jo

Robbie Iobst said...

Joanna,
I totally agree! Thanks for being you!

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Robbie... I LOVE this post. even brought a tear to the surface, given where I'm at at the moment.

tonya said...

Oh Robbie, I love your writing. You bring me such joy. Yes, God does dance over us. One picture that I get is when you see the little girl dancing on daddy's feet holding his hands. That is me sometimes. My problems or my life is so heavy or over burdensome to God. He can handle me. Takes joy in me. I needed to read your post today. Love it!

Loretta Oakes said...

Thanks, Robbie. For making me stop...and dance. Can you see me boogieing down?

Julie said...

I watched "The Fiddler on the Roof" the other day with my girls, and when they danced it just filled me with joy to watch. It was such a heart felt-looking dance (ing). Gave me a chance to let my girls see a different culture from a different time. I just felt that that was how you danced when you just couldn't contain your joy anymore.

Danica Favorite said...

I'll be on the dance floor with you, my friend.

dianne in colorado said...

Thank you for this wonderful post, Robbie! I like to do all of the "Robin Williams" dances in my head too, as well as in my bathroom when no one else is home. My best dancing, however, comes when Alyssa (my five-year-old) tells me it is time to have a ball. We put on sparkly jewelry and do ballet around the lving room. When you are five there is no form of dancing other than ballet! Next time we go to the ball, I'll remind her to invite God too. Thanks!

D. Gudger said...

I think God does the "noodle dance". My husband's cousin has a son who was diagnosed with a mild form of autism when he was a baby. His mother pulled him out of public school and has worked with him as a homeschooler.

This boy loves God more than anything, and has overcome his autism - even people with a trained eye won't be able to tell he battles that condition.

Anyway, he does this "noodle dance" when he's happy. Imagine holding a hot spaghetti noodle from the pot by the very end and wiggling it. That's what Braeden does!

I know it makes God smile!

Beckers said...

I know this is an old post, but it was so inspiring to me today! Thank you for taking the time to share this so i could come a bit closer to my Jesus today. :)