Thursday, February 07, 2013

What is TODAY'S Math Problem?





“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34

Yesterday my Bible study leader, Sherie, said the funniest thing. “When I was in school, I liked. Math and on the first day of a new class I’d go straight to the back of the book and freak out. I can’t do this! I won’t ever be able to do this!”

Then she made the point. Day by day I learned and by the time I got to the end of the book, I could do every problem.

The analogy was perfect. So many times we look ahead and the enemy whispers fear that we won’t be able to conquer what might be heading our way. But God enables and equips.

Being present is an intentional purpose I try to practice each day. But my mind wanders so easily and my imagination, and fear right along with it, goes wild. When I see someone at the gym running on the treadmill, my first thought is I won’t be able to do that. There I go, looking at the back of the book again. Today I can’t run on the treadmill, but today I don’t need to. I just need to do the things I am learning right now. In the present.

Sometimes I look ahead at the possible pain or tragedies that could occur. I can easily drive myself crazy just thinking about how horrible something could be. Yesterday, I happened to be in this mode during our Bible Study discussion and a dear woman, Beth, reminded me of a story Corrie Ten Boom spoke and wrote:

"When I was a little girl, "I went to my father and said, 
"Daddy, I am afraid that I will never be strong enough to be a martyr for Jesus Christ." 
"Tell me," said Father, "When you take a train trip to Amsterdam, 
when do I give you the money for the ticket? Three weeks before?"


"No, Daddy, you give me the money for the ticket just before we get on the train."
"That is right," my father said, "and so it is with God's strength. 
Our Father in Heaven knows when you will need the strength to be a martyr for Jesus Christ. He will supply all you need – just in time…"


I wasn’t thinking about being a martyr, just about pain and tragedies. The same lesson applies. God will supply me the strength when I need it. He’s not going to give me that supernatural intervention while I am just fretting about the future.

So today join me and keep your eyes off the back of the book. Today’s problem is enough and God provides what we need TODAY.

(On another note, if you happen to look at the back of the Bible, God wins!)

No comments: