Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Summer Reading!

Ah, the sun is shining its warmth and encouraging us to head for swimming pools or air conditioner. I love the summer! Cherries are ripe and the fruit is sweet. :0) And for me, summer time is an excellent time to READ! I mean read even more than I usually do. So this time of year, I make myself a summer reading list. I asked my facebook friends for suggestions.

Here are the ones that they named that I have read:

The Help - LOVED IT
The Mitford Series books - SO wonderful end easy and sweet!
Chronicles of Narnia - Classics
The Shape of Mercy - SO good
Chasing Lilacs - WONDERFUL
Redeeming Love - One of my favorites of all time
Eat, Love and Pray  - So much better than the movie

Here are some they suggested that I haven't read:

Crazy Love - I have it but haven't read it.
The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich
The Jack Reader series by Lee Child
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton
A Ship Possessed by Alton Gansky
Same Kind of Different as Me
Introverts in the Church
The Power of the Blood
Downpour by James McDonald
I Know This Much is True
Jane Adams Diary

So I'm looking at the second list and trying to decide. Do you have any suggestions? Have you read any of the second list? Help! And have a wonderful summer. Pick up a book if you haven't read in a while!

3 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

Hey Robbie, even though I'm the one who suggested The Same Kind of Different as Me over on Facebook, let me plug it again. It is absolutely one of the best books I've ever read. It will move you to tears. And the writing is superb. Put this one at the top of your list :)

p.s. I've got a post planned (for next week I think) in honor of summer reading, too. Always fun to talk books, huh?

Robbie Iobst said...

Cheryl, Done and done! Thank you!

Hilary said...

I read the first of the Stephanie Plum series and I found it trite and offensive... maybe I'm a literary prude, but it is not something I would waste time on, for sure. Not at all edifying.

I'm thinking you've probably read the James Herriot books, but if not, you must. Those always mean summer to me. :-)

Hilary