Thursday, June 09, 2011

I Want to be a Dangerous Christian!


“I wouldn’t mind if to be a Christian were accepted as being the dangerous thing which it is; I wouldn’t mind if once again, we were being thrown to the lions. I do mind, desperately, that the word “Christian” means for so many people smugness, and piosity and holier than thouness.” Madeleine L’Engle


Amen to that, Madeleine!

And it starts with me, not those “other Christians” who offend me with their noses affixed in the air, sniffing their own goodness. It starts with me.

I long to be a dangerous Christian, one that loves recklessly like Christ. One that defines loving as action, not words. One that risks in order to please the Father. One that holds fast to the teachings of the Word while living to the fullest in the world.

It’s possible. I’ve seen dangerous Christians and they inspire me.

I disgust myself when I see me acting pious and smug, wielding judgment on others as if I have an anointed sword that is able to cut to the hearts of all. I do not like it when I spend more time wondering why someone doesn’t love Jesus like I do and less time loving them like Jesus loves me. And I offend myself when I cower in the corner, scared of offending anyone and doing absolutely nothing.

I want to be a dangerous Christian. Why not? I serve a dangerous God.

Remember when Lucy asked Mrs. Beaver about Aslan in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?

“Is he safe?” asked Lucy.

“Oh, no dear, he’s not safe. But he’s good.”

Lord, help us all take one more step toward Your heart. Cause us to live lives of courage and reckless abandon in the name of Jesus.

Help us be dangerous Christians!

5 comments:

Marla said...

AMEN! I want to be dangerous, too! ;-) Love this post! -marla benroth

Robbie Iobst said...

Marla, I see you as dangerous! :0) But alas, we can pray for and inspire each other! :0)

Jan Parrish said...

I want to be dangerous! You are being dangerous to write such an article.

hapi said...

Hi Robbie Iobst, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog

Cheryl Barker said...

Love your sentence about living "lives of courage and reckless abandon in the name of Jesus." I'd say a dangerous Christian is one who is a threat to the Enemy, too!