Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Great Way to Celebrate - Obey!




“Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!” John 12:23-28



Jesus wasn’t a whiner. He had a troubled soul, knowing the time was coming for him to sacrifice his life. But He didn’t whine. He asked God if this was the way to go and apparently God said yes, because Jesus says here, “Father, glorify Your Name!” And in the garden He says, “Father Your will, not mine be done.”

This amazes me. Jesus provided the ultimate example of dying to self.

I am in awe of my God who sent His Son, Jesus and I am in awe of my God Jesus who died for me.

And Jesus told us, you and me, that in order to serve Him, to be a follower of Christ, we need to choose to die to ourselves. This is the most difficult choice we are asked to make daily. You way, God, not mine.

A year after I moved to Denver, my brother Phil went to Albuquerque and attended a silent auction held by Hope Christian School. He saw the painting above and he got it for me. He knew that moving from California was very difficult for me and once here, God told me in every way possible that it was time for me to start dying to myself in a big way.

The picture illustrates John 12:24 “Truly I say to you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.”

Do you want to make a difference in the name of Jesus? Do you want to be someone who influences lives for the glory of God? Then you must die to yourself. Do you want to live a life of safety and security? Then don’t die to yourself. Do you want adventure and joy beyond what you thought was possible? Then die to yourself.

Jesus told these words to His disciples just a couple of days before He was crucified. A wonderful way to celebrate Holy Week is to take His advice and obey His wisdom. Die to yourself.

No comments: