Thursday, March 28, 2013

Running in Circles or Destroying Blue Cushions!


Today is Thor's birthday - he is 2 years old. This is a picture of him with his birthday present. In honor of him and all God does to teach me about life and love through him and my other dog, Scooby, I offer this - Running in Circles or Destroying Blue Cushions!


“Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever.” Hebrews 12:2 (from the Message)


When you have a minute, put the following link into your browser and listen to the song “Running in Circles” by United Pursuit Band. 


Some of the lyrics:
I’m so forgetful, but you always remind me, You’re the ONLY ONE who brings me peace…
So I come, Lord, to tell You I love You, to tell You I need You…
To tell You I’m sorry for running in circles, for placing my focus on the waves, not on Your face…


Are you like me and find yourself running in circles on some days? An endless list of tasks stares at you mockingly and you fail to complete them all. When your head hits the pillow at night, that wonderful feeling of completion is not in bed with you. I have the passion and the purpose. I even see the path. But still, I forget the big picture of what I am trying to accomplish with my life and I focus on anything else. I look for drama, I feel for comfort and I sniff out empty opportunities that waste my time.

I end up running in circles.

I remind myself of Thor.

Thor, my half Chihuahua half Pug, or Chug, is nine pounds of ferocious determination. Today he turns two. I admire his Napoleon like attitude towards the world, be it a Great Dane Thor thinks he’s bigger than or a stuffed toy he attempts to conquer as if it were a battle to the death.  

I gave him a treat yesterday and he took it and ran so as not to give my other dog, Scooby, a chance to steal it. He jumped up on his blue chair and began the battle. He chomped away but unbeknownst to him, a piece of the treat fell on the floor. He didn’t know what happened, but he knew more treat existed, so he began digging in the chair. Ferociously.

“Thor.” I called him and he ignored me. I walked over to him and pointed at the treat on the floor. He single-mindedly continued his excavation of said chair for said treat. Meanwhile, Scooby entered the room, observed the situation and dived for the treat with the elegance of a Russian ballet dancer trapped in a Puggle’s body.

All of us contain a little Thor. We forget to focus on the One who is gently pointing the way to what will give us fulfillment. We dig and dig, determined to conquer a list of tasks but we forget to follow Christ and we end up running in circles. Or destroying a blue cushion.

Jesus showed us how to live. Right now, take a minute and ask Him to guide you. He will. Let’s not run in circles this week. Like this song tells us, He is the only one who can bring us peace.

You are loved!

1 comment:

Cheryl Barker said...

Yep, I know a thing or two about running in circles :) So thankful for the Lord's guidance and direction!