Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Living in "Might" Situations



“And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father,

Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6

I might lose my house.

I might be quite sick.

My husband might lose his job.

My child might get rejected.

Might, Might, Might.

The “might” situations come often in life. Sometimes they usher us into a valley where desperation for God’s help grows like the wild flowers in a meadow. And sometimes they are precursors to a trip to the mountain of gratitude, having missed bad news.

I am in a “might” situation right now. It’s a precarious place, where the fear of the unknown knocks on my door often. But I don’t have to let him in. I can make the choice to look at “might” in a totally different way

Might has two basic definitions: 1) Possibly 2) Power

You and I have the freedom to choose how we deal with waiting for news, be it bad or good. We can live in the realm of possibly, which is like balancing on a moving log in water. Could go this way or could go that way but while I’m waiting I need to move my feet frantically, hoping to control the outcome.

We can also choose to live in the realm of power, which is like standing on unmoving boulder. I still don’t know how it will go, but while I’m waiting I stand confidently on the ROCK, leaving the outcome to God, the Mighty God!

In practical terms, I use the Word of God to tell the enemy to go away when thoughts of possible bad news attack me and tempt me to fantasize about the worst possible situation. If I dwell, I get stuck in fear which leads to depression. The Word of God keeps me focusing on Mighty God and this moment right now!

I also don’t waste time wondering about the “mights.” I could probably spend most of a day just sitting and conjuring all the horrible things that “might” happen. So I remain busy, working and focusing on the tasks God has laid before me TODAY.

If you are not in a “might” situation, you will be someday. When it happens, remember that His Might is more powerful than any “might” situation. Today, this day, has so many wonderful gifts. Open them up, one at a time, and enjoy life right now. The “mights” are tools by the enemy to distract you from the Might of the One who is in control!

2 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

Robbie, love how you said His might is more powerful than any "might" situation. What a good thing to remember. I pray your might situation works out well!

Unknown said...

Wow! This is extra powerful! I love it!