Wednesday, August 03, 2011

How Do I Feed My Soul?

How do I feed my soul?
I reach for a coke.
I dig my spoon into a pint
       of HaagenDaaz chocolate.
My tummy rejoices.
My thighs expand.
And my soul lets out a hunger pang.

How do I feed my soul?
I walk the aisles of King Soopers.
I am a wolf, prowling for prey.
Which candy?
Which desserts?
Soul food isn't on aisle 4.

How do I feed my soul?
I stumble into Your presence.
I ask for something my taste buds can't experience.
Is it the Bible?
Is it Prayer?
They just don't feel as good as coconut cake.

How do I feed my soul?
I sit, like in a restaurant.
I ask for an order of satisfaction.
No waiter brings french fries.
Chips and salsa are not delivered.
Instead, You join me.

How do I feed my soul?
By experiencing the One who created my soul,
And chocolate,
And sugar.
I lean on Your strength.
I say "NO!" to the cravings.
I do this over and over and over and over and over.

And slowly, day by day, meal by meal,
I realize.

My soul is being fed.
By loving and being loved
By the One!
My God, and Jesus and Spirit,
The relentless pursuer of my heart,
The God who feeds my soul.


Jan Parrish said...

Thank you, Robbie, this really spoke to me today!

Cheryl Barker said...

No one and nothing can feed our souls like He can -- but we sure like to try other things, huh? :)

Noemia & Lane said...

I did like your poem.
I hope people would understand that we need a real relationship with Our Heavenly Father.

God Bless you,

Noemia Poole