Monday, February 07, 2011

What if I'm not WILLING to eat healthy?



Some days I just want to eat. I'm not talking "eating to live" but "living to eat." Whether it be wanting to not feel pain or overeating out of a bad habit, some days I just want to eat.

I prowl around like a wolf looking for prey as I search out the frig or pantry. I sit and ponder where I want to go for lunch.
Again, hunger plays no part. Nutritional needs are not eve a passing concern.

I just want to eat.

On those days, the best tactic I can take in the battle of the bulge is a simple prayer. "God, make me willing to be willing."

I picked up this prayer in a 12 step group and though I don't attend that group anymore, I still use what I learned, including this prayer.

God is big enough to change our focus. He gently lifts our heads and causes us to look in a different way. But He never forces a change in attitude.

Ergo, this wonderful prayer. When I just want to eat, if I pray "God, make me willing to be willing," His Spirit gently nudges me away from my stubborn bondage to food and reminds me that there is another choice. I don't have to just eat.

I can receive the strength God offers and find myself willing to make healthy choices. HE causes me to be willing to be willing.

Try it. This works. He works.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golly - that picture of the hamburger sure looks good! Mmmm. Unwillingness is rebellion. Simple as that. So just look at what a rebellious and big waisted people we've become! God make us willing to be willing, indeed!

Jan Parrish said...

Now I want that hamburger.

Great insight, Robbie. One day at a time. If you fall down, just get right back up again.

Kay Day said...

Such a wonderful prayer. It helps in so many different situations, too.
I find myself unwilling to go to Iraq as a missionary. Yet, I want to be willing, should God ask that of me.
And yes, I frequently find myself unwilling to put down the fork. But I am willing to be willing, I just need HIm to take me around that final bend.

Cheryl Barker said...

Love that we have a Father we can call on for anything and everything. And you're right, Robbie -- He works!

Denise Miller Holmes said...

I love that prayer. I intend to use it often.

"...for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." ~Philippians 2:13