Thursday, August 05, 2010

Choose Joy

(This is a little blurry - but it's a picture of the Iobsts about to engage in a Lazer tag war.)


Abraham Lincoln said, "I have found that most people are about
as happy as they make up their minds to be."

I am a naturally optimistic person; I was born that way, I think. It's just part of who I am to try to find the silver lining in life. Not to say that I am always happy. Not at all. In fact, I've dealt with depression, both chemical and emotional. But a while back I made a decision. A choice to choose joy.

Joy is not always about emotions. It's about belief that God is in control. So when I choose joy, I am choosing to believe that God has my back, no matter what. Ergo, I find myself looking up (literally and figuratively) often.

A woman told me once that it was easier for me to have a happy-go-lucky attitude than her because she was not born optimistic like me and she had gone through some horrible experiences in her life. I don't want to sound cold hearted about anyone's hurts, but pulllllllleaassee! A positive attitude is not some nebulous ephereal substance that sometimes may happen to fall upon us. IT IS A CHOICE.

Choose to see something good in that person who is irriatating as helicopter. :0)
Choose to think about something wonderful that is possible in your life.
Choose to hope in God, even as you are crying in pain.

Choose Joy. Practice today. Choose Joy.

2 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

Great outlook, Robbie. Much like "love is a decision". So glad we have a heavenly Father who makes choosing joy something we can do each day. I'm with you -- I choose joy, too!

Jan Parrish said...

Yes. Great point. And the by product of joy is that it's contagious.