Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Simple Graces



As kids, my siblings and I would fight over the turkey wishbone. It was a treat to offer one end to my sister while I pulled on the other. The wishbone would break and whoever got the biggest portion got to make a wish that was sure to come true.

Tomorrow is another wishbone day. But this year, I won't dive across the table and fight my son or my nephew for it. I'm much too grown up for that...sort of.

This year I have dreams as always, but I am putting the wishes aside to such say THANKS. Thanks, Jesus, for all You've given me.

I ran across a great quote:

Be thankful for the smallest blessing, and you will receive greater. Value the least gifts no less than the greatest, and simple graces as especial favors. If you remember the dignity of the Giver, no gift will seem small or mean, for nothing can be valueless that is given by the Most High God.
Thomas a' Kempis 1380-1471

I am thankful for John and Noah. I am so blessed by my family and friends.

But right now I want to take a moment and be thankful for the simple graces, the little gifts in my life that add to my existence.

A huge bathtub
People magazine
Coffee in the morning
Blueberry Blossom tea at Starbucks
The Colorado Sky
Books, books, books
An author I just discovered that cracks me up - David Sedaris
The Sunday New York Times Crossword
Facebook
My car
New Appliances that work - Yay!
A cell phone I still haven't lost
My condo
Pillows that are not too soft or too hard - Yep Goldilocks pillows!
Panera
Good conversations - the ones that make me think or feel
The absolute joy of creativity and writing
Kleenex
That thing that holds drinks in cars
Candles that smell good but don't overpower
Reading glasses
Dancing with the Stars
Lost
The Academy Awards
AMC weekend matinees that only cost $5
Barnes and Noble
Pain that grows me (um...yea...I am thankful)

Thank you Jesus!

Do you have any you want to add that you are thankful for? I'd love to hear them.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

2 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

Such a beautiful list Robbie.
And I am thankful for friend like you that add spice and zip to life.
Blessings to you and yours this thanksgiving.

Danica Favorite said...

Man, Jan stole mine.

I'm thankful for Jan, who's got a great mind for thinking like mine. ;)

But I'm also very thankful for Panera. And that you sometimes come.